|Director of Digital Strategy & Content|
|Marketing & Communications|
|About First Book: First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 185 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 450,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
About the Position: We are looking for someone to join First Book’s marketing and communications team: an independent, multi-skilled, hard-working expert in all digital strategy and content. Specifically, we need someone to develop strategy and manage First Book’s organic and paid social media initiatives, including managing a community of 200,000 followers across multiple platforms (assisted by the communications coordinator), develop diverse content assets from video to info-graphics to help us grow and engage our audience. In addition, the Digital Strategy and Content Director will be responsible for the editorial calendar for First Book’s blog, work with the communications coordinator to monitor and respond to audience analytics; and handle aspects of brand management.
The candidate we have in mind will be someone with a demonstrated ability to meet organizational goals using a diverse strategy of original and curated content, supervising the process from conception through execution. This individual must be a skilled storyteller who is comfortable using video, graphics, and text to convey messages across a wide variety of media, from press, to website, to social media. From day one, the Content Director will need to focus on developing and maintaining a content strategy and editorial calendar that will engage individuals, schools and community groups to expand the reach of First Book’s resources, increasing online donations and growing our list of email subscribers, as well as plan for and assist in the analysis of the data from the content campaigns.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serve as primary First Book content strategist and producer, pulling in specialists where needed, to conceptualize and create content deliverables ranging from native articles, custom videos, micro sites, social media campaigns, info-graphics, etc.
• Serve as primary video producer and editor, managing all video projects from concept through to filming, editing, and launch. Manage vendors associated with video projects.
• Managing the editorial schedule for all First Book content platforms and channels, both managing the U.S. strategy and assisting the Canadian team in re-purposing content:
o Blog, including creating or assigning new bog posts on a weekly basis and cultivating guest bloggers from the worlds of education, nonprofits and social enterprises• Manage First Book's presence and online social media community on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest, supervising and collaborating with other Marketing Communications staff to curate and create content:
o Web site
o Social platforms
o Content syndication outlets, whether through First Book partners or through content syndication engines
o Coordinate efforts with press calendar managed by the Senior Director/Communications
o Monitor and join conversations about First Book and other topics relevant to our mission across the web• Collaborate with internal teams to brainstorm and define innovative content marketing campaigns to enable stakeholders to meet their marketing objectives. Provide creative direction and brand guidance. Be an active voice to help ensure that all elements within integrated marketing campaigns are designed, produced, and deployed in a cohesive, seamless manner.
o Cultivate and create a strong sense of community among First Book's existing social media audience; react and respond quickly to conversations and comments directed at First Book and our major partners
o Monitor and respond to negative comments and any issues that might affect First Book's reputation or its partners
o Directly manage and execute selected client social media campaigns and serve as a consultant to corporate and non-profit partners, and leading campaign strategy development and execution
o Supervise and provide reporting on social media audience working within First Book’s social media measurement toolset.
• Review draft contracts with vendors to ensure product information, guarantees, and timelines are accurate and achievable
• Provide regular feedback and insight on content trends and performance to First Book leadership. Includes direction of regular, thorough reports on First Book's content efforts and impact.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
• In-depth knowledge and experience with content platforms, including video, web and social media platforms
• Expertise in video production and editing skills
• Expertise in graphic design, communications and creative services management
• Strong project management or organizational skills, including ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills; proficient editor and proofreader
• Expertise with social media measurement tools
• Expertise with standard content management systems (e.g. - WordPress)
• Experience with principles of SEO and best practices for web writing and presence
• Knowledge of the online community related to education, literacy, publishing and the social sector is a plus
• Online partnership experience or cause marketing experience is a plus
• Team player with an excellent sense of humor & experience managing a very small team as this position manages a coordinator role.
Education and/or Experience:
• Five plus years’ experience in marketing and/or communications
• B.A./B.S. in marketing, business, communications, or a related field
• Technical skills required: Expertise in Final Cut Pro, and Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Photoshop and InDesign.
• Experience with social media measurement systems and Google Analytics. Experience with HTML a plus but not required.
• Experience in online communications within social sector and knowledge of literacy issues and/or publishing highly desirable
Candidates are invited to submit a resume, and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying please reach out to Ashley Jones, 202-499-5935.
Would you like to apply to this job?