|Senior Vice President, Finance (CPA)|
|About First Book: First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 185 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 450,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position: (Non-CPAs need not apply) The ideal candidate for the SVP, Finance role is an experienced, highly qualified financial leader who is ready for a stimulating and unique challenge. The SVP of Finance will lead a finance team as well as participate as a corporate senior team member as well as create strategies aligning financial policies and procedures with company objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• FINANCE DEPARTMENT MANAGEMENT. Lead and oversee the Finance department staff and workflow to maintain organizational financial health. Includes:
o Assuring efficient and accurate core accounting functions including cash management, daily financial operations, record-keeping;• OPERATIONS, PROCESSES AND REPORTING. Manage the financial reporting and forecasting process. Includes:
o Maintaining prompt production of monthly income statements and balance sheet;
o Maintaining and monitoring strong internal controls and safeguards.
o Monitoring cash flow and capital requirements;• AUDIT AND TAX PREPARATION. Participate in and oversee the prompt and accurate preparation of annual audit and tax documents with First Book’s accounting firm, and logistics and warehouse partners.
o Preparing budget and performance evaluation, and supporting budgeting process for grants;
o Working with other teams on integrated processes and management for inventory and other assets of the organization;
o Responsible for the timely, accurate financial reporting and analysis to key stakeholders internally and externally, including the Board of Directors;
o Implementing proper metrics with the Operations and Executive Teams for measuring the financial and operating performance of First Book.
• TEAM COLLABORATION. First Book is a highly collaborative organization and it is essential the SVPs work seamlessly across departments as a Senior Team. Includes:
o Being a thought partner to the CFO/Executive Team and EVPs;
o Providing valuable strategic and financial analysis and insights as a business partner with all department teams;
o Supporting key decisions by producing financial models and making substantive recommendations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Understands current and new accounting regulations as well as how they will impact the business;
• Possesses a strong business acumen and judgment, able to think strategically about business issues.
• Over 10 years’ experience in a senior level finance or accounting position
• Experience in developing a variety of budgets
• Experience leading a highly effective finance / accounting department with specific ability to make the department a team player in a collaborative organization
• Ability to provide leadership and coordination of financial functions and their applications toward larger organizational strategy
• Familiarity with Accounting Seed or similar integration system is helpful.
BA/BS required. A degree with concentration in Finance, Accounting, or Business preferred,
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying please reach out to Ashley Jones, 202-499-5935.
Would you like to apply to this job?