|Magento Software Engineer|
|About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches over 480,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position:
**FIRST BOOK IS TEMPORARILY WORKING REMOTELY UNTIL AT LEAST DECEMBER 31, 2020 DUE TO COVID-19**
First Book is applying technology and business approaches to the challenge of providing all children in the US and Canada with access to books. First Book currently serves more than 20,000 Title I schools, after-school initiatives, clinics, shelters, and a wide variety of other programs serving children in need. Though powerful, First Book is only reaching a small fraction of the approximately 2 million programs and Title I classrooms eligible for our help. We have exciting opportunities to use technology to serve more and more of these programs and are looking for a Programmer Analyst to join our technology team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Migration of Magento 1.x platform to a Magento 2.x platform
• Ability to take business requirements and design and build modules to suit the mission
• Development and enhancement of First Book Magento storefront
• Develop reports and create custom modules within Magento ecommerce platform
• Research, develop logic, code, test, and deploy Magento/PHP application
• Modify and build on existing code base of Magento
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
• 3-6 years of Magento experience
• 5-10 years of Information Technology experience
• Advanced understanding of eCommerce platforms and systems
• Strong working experience with Magento 2.x platform desired
• Familiarity with the Magento Cloud environment highly desired.
• Experience with building highly interactive, highly trafficked, database driven web applications
• Must have strong SQL query development experience
Technical Skill Set
• Good understanding of object oriented programming and programming principles
• Comprehensive understanding of the Magento platform
• Solid PHP programming language experience
• Advanced knowledge of MySQL database (developer fundamentals)
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter (as 1 document) that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying please reach out to Ashley Jones, 202-499-5935 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Would you like to apply to this job?